Wednesday, December 25, 2013

One Word ... One Verse ... for 2014

Over the past 15 years I have had a tradition of considering and praying over a verse as I cooperate with God in His plans for growth in that coming year.  I've had various verses come to mind and they always seem to come from nowhere and then grab a hold of me saying, "I'm the one.  Pick me!  Pick me!"  I then memorize the verse (or section of scripture -- as was in the case of John 15: 1-15 one year) and over the coming year God and I dwell in the verse and the principles behind the verse together.  I spend quiet time regularly pondering the verse and seeking God in connection to the verse. 


I love this time of year.  Christmas is officially upon us.  We have finished the season of Advent with its preparations and celebrations.  We are in a season of holiday and considering.  It is a time of break from work or school in many cases and a time of looking forward.  Something feels fresh and promising as we look into the New Year.  I'm not superstitious about resolutions.  I'm old enough to have had my fair share of resolve gone to the pile of "good intentions."  The idea of a verse for the year is not a resolution.  It is a focal point, a beacon and an agreement of permission, "Yes, Lord, let it be to me as Thou will."  It is a "yes" to what we sense God saying He wants to do in us, with us and for us.

So, I want to invite you to join me in planning for the coming year in this specific way.  And if you wish, as I am adding to my own experience this year, pick a word that sums up what you sense the Lord saying He is doing with the verse He gives you.

I'd love to hear here what your verse or your word ends up to be. 

No comments: